WHO WE ARE
Deaf Zimbabwe Trust is a voluntary organization that promotes the rights and interest of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH) people in Zimbabwe. It was formed in 2012 by parents of Deaf children and began operations as registered Trust in 2013. Initially the organization was formed to advance the rights of Deaf children. After wide consultation, the leadership of DZT realized that Deaf adults had a lot of challenges and very little was being done to help them achieve their potential. As a result of this realization, Deaf Zimbabwe Trust reconfigured its activities to include all the Deaf in Zimbabwe.
Lets work together to include and empower all Deaf and Hard of hearing people.
Transformation and empowerment of Deaf and hard of hearing people for independent living through provision of education, changing societal attitudes through awareness raising and advocacy, service provision and sustainable initiatives.
An inclusive society which respects diversity where all Deaf and Hard of Hearing people enjoy equal rights & choices, opportunities, dignity and independence.
- By equality we mean – Both Deaf and hearing people are equal and therefore should have equal access to opportunities without discrimination.
- By respect and tolerance – We are all equal human beings worthy of dignity and therefore we should respect our differences and embrace diversity.
- By Accountability we mean – We are accountable to all the stakeholders that we are directly or indirectly associated with.
- By Teamwork we mean – Unity of purpose in the organisation.
- By Excellence we mean – We strive to deliver quality service and products to all our stakeholders.
- To build a sustainable organisation with adequate resources by 2025;
- To influence policy change for suitable accommodations for Deaf people;
- To establish a suitable learning environment for the Deaf through the DZT school for the Deaf Education programme.
- To increase awareness of issues affecting the Deaf and hard of hearing.